September 28, 2023

Nagasaki Theway

Delighting Fitness Lovers

7 Gross Food Myths That Don’t Make Sense (but People Still Believe)

Image for article titled 7 Gross Food Myths That Don't Make Sense (but People Still Believe)

Image: DoctorIce Pictures (Shutterstock)

Taco Bell is lucky adequate to stand at the intersection of two targets of city legends: It’s a rapidly-foodstuff chain serving meat, and it serves foodstuff involved with Latinx cultures. (Xenophobic food items-associated urban legends are a full style unto themselves.) The same kinds of matters persons say about McDonald’s burgers have also been mentioned about Taco Bell’s seasoned ground beef, but there is far more.

A single lawsuit alleged that the chain’s taco beef was only 36% beef, foremost us to speculate what the hell is in the other 64%. (About the only plausible reply would be meat from other animals, or mayyybe textured vegetable protein (TVP). If you’ve ever tried out to make chili with TVP, you will know it’s not a wonderful substitute.) The lawsuit was finally dropped, and Taco Bell’s recipe turns out to be beef with a bunch of rather normal seasonings. There’s soybean oil in the sauce, oat flour to thicken it, nutritional yeast, garlic, and so on.

An additional myth is that Taco Bell’s taco beef contains horse meat. This, once again, has a kernel of fact: Taco Bells in the United Kingdom have been as soon as discovered to be employing meat from a supplier that incorporated “more than 1%” horse meat in the combine. The meat was recalled. (The exact same provider had sold the meat to IKEA, way too, by the way.) Taco Bells in the U.S. do not use European suppliers, so this was hardly ever an concern in this article.