Childhood obesity statistics in the Unites States are at record highs – just like all health issues involving diet and exercise habits. In short, obesity in America is at epidemic levels as we have became the fattest nation on the planet. As we continue to tell ourselves that we are “just too busy” to plan and prepare healthful meals at home, we, and our children, grow continually larger and are significantly more likely to develop a variety of preventable diseases and health issues including, but certainly not limited to:
- High cholesterol;
- High blood pressure (hypertension);
- Diabetes mellitus;
- Diabetes Insipidus;
- Kidney issues;
- Heart disease and circulatory problems;
- Liver disease;
- Premature aging and even death;
While these issues used to be thought to lay in wait for adults only, they are now becoming increasingly evident in our children. The single most prevalent reason is our poor dietary habits.
Causes of obesity in our children:
Modern research on child obesity is quite disturbing indeed. Our children are being introduced to health problems at staggeringly young ages because parents are not feeding them correctly and ensuring that they get adequate exercise. Here are some tips to reverse your child’s progression towards childhood obesity:
- Recognize that children do not need to have diets specifically for them. Healthy food is healthy food. It really doesn’t matter if your child prefers a Big Mac meal with supersized fries to a salmon filet and wild rice. You are the parent and you need to provide healthy food choices for your child.
- Just because your child is growing does not mean that they need every bit of food that they can possibly stuff down their throats. More is definitely not better. Sensible portions of nutrient-packed foods are what is needed. Just because a teenage boy feels like a big man because he can gobble down 3 nutritionally-void Whoppers from Burger King doesn’t mean anything at all. In fact, it is simply an invitation for lifelong health problems.
- Soda pop is a worthless concoction that should not be consumed. It is only simple sugars (monosaccharides), artificial flavorings and preservatives – a recipe for acne and health issues. Ensure that your children drink water, low-fat milk, green teas, fruit juices and loads of other non-soda beverages.
- Every living animal must exercise daily to remain healthy. That is a simple fact of nature. You and your family members should all get 20 to 30 minutes of daily exercise that is semi-challenging. The benefits are immeasurable. Make your children step away from the video games, computers and televisions to get outside in the fresh air and play for hours.
Childhood obesity is the direct result of poor food provision and lacking physical activity levels – most often nothing more. Sure, we can attribute our overweight children to socio-economic factors, psychological turmoil, genetic predisposition and the like, but it all really just boils down to diet and exercise – the same as always. Take control of your child’s health beginning today. Make and take the time to plan and prepare wholesomely nutritious meals and enjoy them with your family after your daily exercise sessions. Living healthily is the best way to avoid both adult and childhood obesity.